Jennifer D. Wade Journal

Welcome to my online diary, enjoy your stay!

Blog posts April 2006

Snow Job

Well, I should be at work right now, but I'm not.  I should be working on elections right now, but I'm not.  The girl who was supposed to produce the 11 tonight called in sick, so I will have to do it.

In the meantime, how about Tony Snow being named the new White House Press Secretary?  He of Faux News.  Since I never watch them, I don't know much about him.  But, from what I gather, he has occasionally bashed Bush and the administration.  Will he be able to stand there and spew the ridiculousness that these people come up with - and do it with a straight face?  I wonder.  If I had to bet, I'd put odds on him not making it to the end of Bush's term.  We'll see.

Go Back

Is She for Real?

So, I watched "Survivor" tonight.  I missed the first 15-minutes because I was watching "Alias", which I taped last night.  But, I tuned in to see most of the reward challenge where the survivors had to guess which tribe member other tribe members picked as the answer to a variety of questions.  One question was "Which tribe member is the most annoying?" and the correct answer, as determined by all the tribe members was Courtney, the free-spirited fire dancer.  Courtney herself was annoyed by this answer because she also happened to be the answer to several other questions that had to do with a general level of flakiness.

Anyway, to make a long story short, Courtney quickly proved that the other survivors hit the nail on the head when they picked her as the most annoying.  Back at camp, just hours after the challenge, survivor Bruce curled up on the ground in pain.  Seems he had a major case of constipation.  Courtney, in her free-spirited, fire dancery way, knealt down by Bruce and started rubbing his back.  All nice and comforting - until she asked, "Would it help if I sang a song?"

"No!" said Bruce, with as much forcefullness as he could muster.

So, what does Courtney do?  Do I really have to tell you?

Go Back

The Games People Play

Sorry.  I know I've been keeping you in suspense for two whole days now about whether I went to Williamsport to play games on Saturday night.  Well, I did.

I got to Neil's house about 8:15.  Mercifully, the children's hour was just ending!

We ended up playing three games, none of which I had played before:

 - Wits & Wagers, where everyone guesses the answer to a question, then bets on which answer they think is closest to the actual one.  I came in last in that one.

 - Rome (I think), which is a chariot racing board game.  I came in second in that one.

 - Ingenious, where you lay tiles on a board and score points by matching the symbols on the tiles.  I almost won this one, but lost it on the fourth tie-breaker.

Of the three, I liked Ingenious the best, followed by Rome.  

Don't know if I'll go next month.  Another friend is talking about going hiking that weekend.  The date in question is still a month away, so, we'll see. 

Go Back

What's New

Well, I have a few minutes while I wait for the Liquid Plumr to work on clearing my slow-draining tub, so here's what's new.

I finally got around to spending the PettSmart gift card that Liz gave me for Christmas.  I got KT a new dish for her food and water, a new mat to set it on, and a box of biscuts that are supposed to help clean teeth.  So far, she seems to like all three.

I also got a new gym bag and a new bowling bag.  In both cases, the ones I had were getting pretty ratty looking, all faded from sitting in the back of the SUV.  So, I transferred all my stuff into the new bags and put them in the back of the SUV.

I made a couple changes to the links on the page.  I took out Go Fug Yourself because there's already a link to that on my website.  I also took out Cox and Forkum political cartoons because, well, I never thought they were very funny.

In turn, I added links to a couple of columnists - Molly Ivins and Mark Morford.  Morford writes for the San Francisco Gate and is a favorite of another blogger that's linked to on this site.

Not to much else to report.  Kind of slow at work this week.  I'm trying to decide if I want to drive out to Williamsport tonight to meet some friends and play games.

Go Back

I Think I'm Done

What should I do now?  I think I've finished all my projects, big and little, so now there's really nothing left to do.  I mean:

Laundry - check!

Cleaning - check!

Sister's resume updated - check!

Mensa judging - check!

Newsletter columns - check!

Web site updated - check!

Blog updated - check!

Maybe now it's time to start teaching myself HTML.  Or, I could do more work on my photo albums.  Hmmm.  Decisions, decisions.   

Go Back


It's 8 a.m. on a Saturday morning, and it feels as though I've been up for hours.  Which is probably because I have.  The dog woke me up at 5:30, after a full three hours of sleep.  I tried going back to bed, but I kept hearing the dog move around downstairs.  So, I decided to get up and take advantage of the extra time.  I already have a load of wash going, so let's see if I can cover a whole week's worth of happenings before the spin cycle starts.

I suppose you've all been dying to know how the bowling went.  Not too bad, I suppose, considering that I was injured.  It happened like this.  I hadn't been bowling for about a year, not since the last Bowl for Kids' Sake event.  With that in mind, if you recall, I joined some of my co-workers to practice for the big event.  That was a Thursday, and by Friday, my legs were a little sore.  I chalked it up as a consequence of general inactivity and didn't think much about it.

When BFKS rolled around on Saturday, we ended up with two teams of three.  But, one of the guys had his toddler son along, and he put him on a team.  So, seeing as how even teams are much more important than any lingering soreness I might have, I volunteered to bowl for both teams instead of just the one.  Things went rather well up until about the fifth frame. (Remember, that would actually be 10 total frames for me.)  As I was making my approach on the left lane, I felt something snap in my left thigh.  Don't ask me how I did it, but, yes, I managed to pull a quad muscle while bowling.  I carefully finished both games and ended up with scores of 153 and (I think) 129.  Not too bad, I guess, considering that I was partially incapacitated.

The truly scary thing is that I now believe my life may be in danger.  It's because I, who never wins anything, actually won something.  I won a door prize at BFKS - a coffee mug and four guest passes to a local business.  Thing is, the business is a rock climbing place!  Considering that the last time I played softball, I broke my wrist; and the last time I went bowling, I pulled a muscle; I'm now extremely worried about what might happen if I decide to use one of those guest passes and try to climb a rock wall.  I have a feeling that it might not end well.  Hmmmm.  I'll have to think about that one.

Not too much else has been happening.  I've been busy judging newsletter submissions for Mensa.  I hope to finish them today, but the groups I still have to do all have a lot of entries.  So, we'll see.  I don't want to overexert myself.

And, just for the record, I did finish this before the spin cycle - of load #2.

Go Back

6 blog posts